QUETTA: Government on Monday confirmed the death of two Chinese nationals who were abducted in the southwestern city of Quetta, the foreign office said.
The pair, a man and a woman, were abducted in May this year from the city, capital of restive Balochistan province, which is at the heart of a multi-million dollar investment by Beijing in Pakistan but is also wracked by militancy.
“The DNA reports have confirmed that the two persons killed in Balochistan in June 2017 were the same two Chinese nationals, who were kidnapped from Quetta in May, 2017,” Pakistan’s foreign office said in a statement.
The government condemned the death of the pair and expressed deep grief on this brutal act of terrorism.
The government vowed to conduct thorough investigation and to apprehend the perpetrators.
Authorities originally said the pair were studying Urdu at a local language centre, but Pakistan’s interior ministry later said they had been preaching in Quetta.
Hundreds of Chinese nationals started to pour into Pakistan after Beijing ramped up investment in its South Asian neighbour as part of a plan to link its far-western Xinjiang region to Gwadar port in Balochistan with a series of infrastructure, power and transport upgrades.
The corridor is one of the largest projects in Beijing’s “One Belt One Road” initiative, comprising a network of road and sea routes involving 65 countries.—AFP