Ceasefire violations at LoC, WB: Indian HC summoned, given demarche


WEB DESK  : Pakistan on Thursday declared that the India’s use of heavy weaponry at the Line of Control (LoC) and Working Boundary (WB) was aimed at undermining regional peace and security, calling for an immediate end to deliberate targeting of civilian population and respect of the ceasefire understanding.

Indian High Commissioner to Pakistan Gautam Bambawale was summoned to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs by Foreign Secretary Aizaz Ahmad Chaudhry, who condemned the continued unprovoked firing and ceasefire violations at the LoC and WB in complete violation of the 2003 ceasefire understanding and the international law, the Foreign Office said.

It stated that the Foreign Secretary observed that the indiscriminate firing and shelling from the Indian side, deliberately targeting villages and civilian populated areas in the last two months, has resulted in killing of 26 civilians and caused injuries to 107 people, including women and children. The Foreign Secretary deplored the use of artillery by the Indian occupation forces in Shahkot and Jura sectors at the LoC on November 09, 2016 and highlighted that such weaponry had been used after 13 years, reflecting India’s intention to further escalate tension and undermine regional peace and security.

He stated that the United Nations Military Observers Group for India and Pakistan (UNMOGIP) has the UN mandated responsibility for maintaining peace and tranquility at the LoC and Working Boundary. “While Pakistan is fully cooperating and providing full access to UNMOGIP, we urge India to permit the UNMOGIP to visit and observe the LoC and the Working Boundary,” Chaudhry said. He also urged India to investigate the continued incidents of unprovoked ceasefire violations at the LoC and Working Boundary and ensure respect for the 2003 ceasefire understanding in letter and spirit.

Source : Business Recorder

loading...
loading...