WEB DESK: While most of us are familiar with Maple Syrup, we typically think of it only in relation to pancakes and waffles.
There is no denying that our stack of pancakes would look incomplete sans the dripping syrup and those waffles would taste bland without every square full of this sweet delight, there is in fact, much more to Maple Syrup than just being a tasty breakfast ingredient.
Besides pancakes and waffles, pure maple syrup from Canada can be used in other ways, such as:
1. Sweetening desserts, beverages and smoothies
2. Sweetening sauces on meats, such as BBQ sauce
3. Drizzled over roasted or cooked vegetables
Early indications from studies indicate that pure maple syrup may contribute to health and well-being in multiple ways.
1. Healthier alternative to honey and other sweeteners: A quarter cup (60 ml) of maple syrup provides 271 calories and 54 gm of sugars, as it has fewer calories than corn syrup and honey, averaging about 50 calories per tablespoon. In fact, you can easily replace white or brown sugar with an equivalent volume of maple syrup.
2. Rich Source of Manganese: Maple syrup is an excellent source of manganese, which plays an important role in energy production and antioxidant defenses, and is necessary for normal brain and nerve function.