- 10 – 12 oz. boneless, skinless, chicken breast, boiled, shredded (see note)
- 1 and ½ tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoon all purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon mustard paste
- ½ cup milk (you may need 1 – 2 tablespoons more)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Puff pastry sheets (1 used 10 pastry squares – 6 x 6 inch)
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- Heat a saute pan with the butter until melted, add the flour, black pepper, and mustard paste.Whisk to mix everything and let cook for 2 minutes. Add half the milk, then all of the chicken, then the remaining milk. Cook for a 3 – 4 minutes until the milk reduces. If the mixture is too dry add 1 – 2 more tablespoons of milk. Season with salt. Let cool completely.
To prepare the shells:
- Defrost puff pastry shells at room temperature for 30 minutes. Cut squares into triangles, fill one side with 1 tablespoon of mixture. Fold 1 side of the pastry over the filling and crimp the two open sides using a pastry crimper or fork. Repeat with remaining shells. If baking right away, brush pastries with lightly beaten egg.
- Line the pastries on a baking sheet and bake at 350 degrees F for 15 – 17 minutes or until pastries turn lightly golden brown. Do not open the oven for the first 15 minutes of baking, pastries will not rise to full potential.
To Freeze for Later:
- Line the prepared pastries on a baking sheet 1 inch apart from each other and freeze for 1 hour or until they harden. Transfer to a zip-lock bag and store in the freezer till ready to bake.
- When baking: place desired amount of pastries on parchment lined baking sheet, let sit at room temperature for 5 minutes. Brush with beaten egg and bake for 15 – 17 minutes or until pastries turn lightly golden brown. Do not open the oven for the first 15 minutes of baking, pastries will not rise to full potential.