WEB DESK: Facebook, internet largest social media platform has come under fire, as it face allegations of censoring users posting ‘Pro Kashmir’ content.
The social media giant is deleting photos, videos and even entire accounts of users which include students and journalists after they posted about the recent events being held in the Indian Occupied Kashmir.
According to The Guardian, Mobile phone coverage, landlines and internet services are being controlled throughout the region, while the Indian police have also raided newspaper offices.
“There are no papers and we only get two TV news channels,” said Zargar Yasir, a Kashmiri blogger who informed that his Facebook account has been blocked for more than a week, with some posts removed.
“When there’s no news, usually we turn to social media for information. That way at least we can talk to each other, we can ask our families and friends how they are, if they are OK. But Facebook has taken my account down, so how do I do that now?” added Yasir.
Yasir is not the only one, as Mubashir Bukhari, a journalist, also faces similar issues. The CatchNews reported, that a video posted by a newspaper daily, Kashmir Monitor of the arrest of Hurriyat Conference Chairman Syed Ali Geelani last Wednesday had been removed by Facebook.
“The day after we uploaded the video, a message was received the video has been removed. It was surprising because this has never happened before,” said Bukhari, a journalist with the paper.
The recent wave of atrocities by the Indian army, began after Burhan Wani, was killed by the Indian army on 8 July. About 30 people died in the violent protests that spread across Kashmir in the aftermath of the killing.
Source: Business Recorder