WEB DESK: Eid means delicious food. Each house celebrates the day with mouth watering food so as to celebrate the end of the month long time period of fasting.
There are some dishes that are known to be Eid specials as without them the day isn’t complete. Starting from the most important dish of the Eid:
Sheer Khurma (Serving 6)
- Milk 1 ltr
- Pinch of saffron
- Vermicelli, broken into small pieces 75 g
- Dry choara / dates 50-75 g
- Ghee or butter 50-75 g
- Sugar 125 g
- Almonds 50 g
- Pistachios 50 g
- Raisins 25 g
- Chiroli seeds, skinned 25 g
- Soak the dry dates in water for a few hours then cut into long thin slices.
- Boil milk with sugar on low heat till it is reduced to 3/4 of its quantity.
- Boil the nuts, blanch and slice them finely, clean raisins.
- Roast the saffron and powder it.
- Heat ghee or butter on low heat and fry the vermicelli till golden, about 1-2 minutes.
- Add the dates, chiroli and all the chopped nuts and fry gently for a few minutes more.
- Add the hot milk and cook again till desired consistency is obtained.
- Add saffron and serve hot in teacups.
It is a common custom in Muslim culture to share the blessings with others and needy people. So, as soon as the first dish is ready people send the first dish to their neighbors as a gesture of goodwill and then eat at home together.
‘Dawwat’ is a word that you here on Eid from every person as every other family is either going out to meet their relatives or the relatives are coming over. It is mandatory to meet your loved ones on Eid. So, when you have guests sitting in your drawing room you can serve them with Kofti Pulao, Trust me they will love you more.
Kofti Pulao (6 Serving)
- Basmati rice 500 gms
- Minced meat 300 gms
- Ginger garlic paste 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder 1/4 tsp
- Red chilli powder 1/2 tsp
- Shahzeera 1/2 tsp
- Garam masala 1/2 tsp
- Vegetable oil 5-6 tbsp
- Ghee 5-6 tbsp
- Mint leaves 12-15
- Coriander leaves 1/4 cup
- Onions(finely sliced) 2 medium size
- Khus-khus(roasted) 50 gms
- Tarboz seed(ground) 50 gms
- Green chillies 3
- Lime juice 4-5 tbsp
- Curd(beaten) 1/2 cup
- Chana(roasted) 50 gms
- Cashew nuts(fried) 100 gms
- Salt to taste
- 1. To make the kofta:
- In a grinder, dry grind roasted chana till it becomes fine powder.
- To the raw keema add salt, a little chilli powder, shahzeera and roasted channa powder.
- Grind this mixture into a fine paste and make lemon-sized balls and keep aside.
- 5. To make the curry:
- In a vessel, take oil & add half garam masala, sliced onions and fry till golden brown.
- Lower heat & add ginger-garlic paste, turmeric powder, chilli powder, salt & ground paste.
- Fry for 1 or 2 minutes while sprinkling some water.
- Put curd and fry it for another 1 to 2 minutes.
10. Add 2 cups of water and when water boils put the kofta one by one.
11. Cook till the kofta are done and water dries up.
12. In another vessel, take enough water to boil & add remaining garam masala, & 2 tbsp salt.
13. Add rice. When the rice is three fourth cooked, drain it out in a strainer.
14. In a thick bottom vessel spread half of ghee at bottom and pour half of the rice over it.
15. Spread out the kofta and the masala above it.
16. Sprinkle lime juice, coriander and mint leaves and green chillis.
17. Cover this again with a fresh layer of rice.
18. Put rest of the ghee on top with fried cashew nuts for garnishing.
19. Cover the vessel with a foil and a lid.
20. Put it on a medium flame for 12 to 15 minutes.
21. Mix slowly ensuring that the koftas do not break.
22. Serve hot with dahi ki chutney and salad.
FRUIT TRIFLE (4 serving)
- Fresh milk 1 liter
- Pineapple cubes 1 tin
- Peach 1 tin
- Fruit cocktail 1 tin
- Sponge cake 1 medium
- Apple 2
- Bananas 4
- Sugar 1 cup
- Walnut 1/2 cup (chopped) (optional)
- Strawberry jelly 1 packet
- Fresh cream 2 packets
- Vanilla custard 4 tbsp (dissolved in a little milk)
- Pour milk in a pan, add sugar and cook for 2 minutes.
- Then gradually add vanilla custard while stirring.
- When custard thickens, turn off the lame and cool at room temperature.
- Now add sliced peach, pineapple, fruit cocktail, apple, bananas and sponge cake.
- Add in half the walnuts in it.
- Now dish out, add a layer of cubed jelly, cream and walnuts.
As the sky turns blue and you prepare to entertain more guests, you must be wondering what you could next put up as an outstanding meal choice to leave your guest admiring your talent. You can make a delicious creamy chicken recipe.
Malai Boti (6 serving)
- Chicken boneless 1/2 kg
- Yogurt 1/2 cup
- Cream 1/2 cup
- Green chili paste 2 to 3 tbsp
- Cumin powder 1 tsp
- Red chili powder 1 tsp
- Garam masala 1 tsp
- Oil 3 tbsp
- Salt to taste
- Salad leaves for garnish
- Tomato for garnish
- Onion for garnish
- Cut chicken in cubes.
- Put chicken pieces, cream, yogurt, salt, red chili, green chili paste, garam masala powder and cumin powder in a bowl and mix it well.
- Now put it on BBQ sticks.
- Grease baking tray or bar b q tray with a little oil and place BBQ sticks on it.
- Pour remaining paste on top of it.
- Now put baking tray in preheated oven at 160 C for 5 minutes.
- After 5 minutes take it out turn the sticks, brush them with oil and put them again for 5 minutes.
- Garnish it with salad leaves, tomato and onion and serve it with tandoori naan.
You wouldn’t want your guest to leave without dessert but then after a whole day of work, tiredness is taking its toll so, what to do in this situation. Which easy home-made dessert you can put up that will be equally complementing as the meal itself.
Shahi Tukray (4 SERVING)
- White bread slices 4 cut into 8 pieces
- Milk 1 liter
- Sugar 1 cup
- Small cardamoms (choti ilaichi) 6(only seeds)
- Milk powder 1 cup
- Yellow food color or saffron one pinch (dissolved in 1 tsp milk)
- Ghee/Oil 1 cup
- Silver waraq (optional)
- Almonds and pistachios 10 (blanched and a slivered)
- Heat ghee/oil in a frying pan.
- Fry slices in it until they are golden brown.
- Remove slices from the ghee/oil and leave them on a newspaper.
- Wipe off the ghee/oil from the frying pan and boil milk in it.
- When milk starts boiling put in cardamom seeds, sugar and milk powder, let it cook on low heat for five minutes.
- When milk starts thickening mix the dissolved food coloring or saffron.
- Line bread slices at the bottom of a wide serving dish, pour milk mixture over, cool and sprinkle with nuts.
- Decorated with thin sliver paper (silver waraq).
- Serve hot or cold.
Your perfect day comes to an end. Happy Eating!