ISLAMABAD: Consumption of toxic confection has claimed another five lives while under treatment in Nishtar Hospital taking the tally to 18 on Saturday.
Resident of Tehsil Kahror Lal Eisen’s Chak-105 TDA Umar Hayat brought sweetmeats from a local shop located at chowk-111 to celebrate birth of his
grandson on Thursday, private news channel reported.
The confectionery items turned out to be poisonous and claimed ten lives the same day within hours while over 40 were shifted to Multan’s Nishtar Hospital and Layyah’s District Headquarters Hospital. Three-year-old Irum, Haseeb and Irfan died while under treatment on Friday.
The four killed today are namely, Sikandar, Bilal, Adnan and a woman, Gul.
Medics have foreboded that the toll is likely to rise as another two are critical in wards eight and 19.
Police have launched an investigation in the matter.
On the other hand, EDO Health Dr Amir Abdullah stated that the shop was sealed while samples of food were taken for tests. A complaint was lodged against the seller, he added.