NEW YORK – US prosecutors tightened the noose in the FIFA corruption scandal Tuesday by hauling Venezuela’s former football federation president before court in New York and extracting a guilty plea from a former match agent.
Rafael Esquivel, the former vice president of the South American Football Confederation (CONMEBOL) who was extradited from Switzerland on Monday to face corruption charges, pleaded not guilty in a federal court in Brooklyn.
Esquivel, 69, was arrested in Zurich last May as part of a US-led investigation into corruption at world football’s graft-tainted governing body FIFA.
He is accused of taking bribes worth several million dollars for the awarding of sports marketing contracts in connection with the Copa America and risks up to 20 years in prison in the United States.
In a brief hearing that lasted less than five minutes, Esquivel’s lawyer David Goldstein entered the not guilty plea and told the judge it was “too early” to make a request for bail.
Before the same federal judge, a Colombian former FIFA match agent pleaded guilty to four counts of money laundering, wire fraud conspiracy and falsifying a tax return and was released on bail at $1.5 million.
Miguel Trujillo, 65, paid hundreds of thousands of dollars in bribes to high-ranking FIFA and soccer officials in Central America and the Caribbean to secure media and marketing contracts, US prosecutors said.
Trujillo, a legal resident of the United States, was based in Florida and was licensed by FIFA to negotiate and arrange matches between member associations.
“Are you pleading voluntarily?” asked US District Judge Raymond Dearie. “Yes,” replied Trujillo.
He had not previously been named among dozens of officials and marketing executives indicted in the sweeping US corruption investigation.
Thirteen individuals have pleaded guilty and agreed to cooperate with US prosecutors in the FIFA case in exchange for a possible reduction in sentence. Another 27 are currently awaiting trial.
In a separate FIFA-related hearing, another New York judge granted house arrest to Eduardo Li, former president of the Costa Rican Football Federation, after he fulfilled two bail conditions.
Li provided $1.1 million in cash and guarantees of two US properties as security that he would remain in the United States, as part of a $5 million deal for house arrest.
House arrest conditions require that Li remain in the New York area, monitored by an electronic bracelet and 24-hour video surveillance. Li also surrendered his passport to the FBI.
The 57-year-old Li was arrested in Zurich last May at the outbreak of the swirling corruption scandal and was extradited to the United States in December.
He faces charges that include fraud and money laundering. He denies wrongdoing.