NEW DELHI: New Delhi will restart draconian driving restrictions that will take around a million cars off the roads, to combat air quality in the world’s most polluted capital, the government said Thursday.
The Delhi government first introduced the experiment for two weeks in January as dangerous levels of haze choked the city, allowing private cars on the roads only on alternate days.
Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal said the city’s population overwhelmingly backed the scheme, although there was little evidence that last month’s trial made an obvious difference to air quality.
“We have taken feedback from people through emails, mobile phones, website and neighbourhood meetings. Overall, 81 per cent people in Delhi have said odd-even should be brought back,” Kejriwal said at a news conference.
Kejriwal urged Delhi’s residents to again comply with the scheme set to run for two weeks in April, in an attempt to bring down pollution levels that sometimes reach more than 10 times the WHO’s safe limits.