WEB DESK: News of Uzair Baloch’s early morning arrest has taken Karachi by a storm. Kingpin of the People’s Aman Committee, he was perhaps the most feared man on the streets of this restive port city.
The name Aman Committee literally translated into Peace Committee was a paradox for the gang gathered funds through kidnapping for ransom, drugs, and extortion money from businesses—big and small alike.
No one was free from his clutches—and whoever dared to stand up against him a threat in the form of a bullet wrapped in a piece of paper with the name of his loved one; a wife or son—reached his door.
Those who did not cow down to the pressure were kidnapped or killed.
Here are a few things our readers need to know about Uzair Baloch:
- The PAC was founded by the infamous Karachi gangster Rahman Dakaitin 2008 and is accused of being involved in organized crime and gang wars. After Rehman’s death in 2009, leadership of the group was taken over by Uzair Baloch
- The organization first set up ‘Aman Offices’ in Lyari where they would solve community problems. They later spread their crime network to Malir, Mawach Goth and Kharadar areas.
- Uzair was son of a transporter named Faizu Mama. Uzair stepped into crime after his father was killed by Arshad Pappu’s gang in 2003. He set out to avenge his father’s murder and joined Rehman Dakait an archrival of Arshad Pappu.
- It is common knowledge that the Pakistan Peoples’ Party supported Aman Committee to secure their seat in their historic turf Lyari
- Currently, as many as 55 cases are pending against Uzair Baloch in various courts. Of these cases, one relates to the murder of Arshad Pappu and another relates to keeping weapons and explosives.