BAMAKO: Two armed guards and three employees, all locals, were among the 20 victims of a jihadist attack on a Mali hotel last week, the chief executive of the hotel’s owners said Tuesday.
“We have lost three staff members and two members of our security service,” said Wolfgang Neumann, CEO of the Rezidor Hotel Group, which owns the Radisson Blu hotel in Bamako.
There had been three armed guards on duty on the morning of the siege, he told a press conference. Fourteen other fatalities in the November 20 siege were foreigners: six Russians,two Belgians, an American, an Israeli and a Senegalese.
In addition to the five victims who were working in the hotel, a Mali police officer also died.
The two assailants, of unknown nationality, were also killed after Malian and international troops stormed the building.
The victims’ bodies remain in Bamako due to the ongoing enquiry. Neumann visited grieving families and some of those injured in the attack and also met with Malian President Boubacar Keita.