WEB DESK: Federal Minister for Information and Broadcast Pervez Rashid on Monday said Pakistan did not need foreign assistance for relief and rehabilitation of people adversely affected by yesterday’s earthquake.
Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi offered assistance to Pakistan, which the Information Minister rejected saying that Pakistan is a country of more than 180 million people, and they don’t plan to seek help from other nations. He said Pakistan has enough resources to handle the situation.
Rashid said civil and military authorities were working to reach out to all those affected by the quake. He put the initial figures of casualties at 114 and injuries at 829. During a press brief regarding the earthquake, Pervez Rashid said that Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif had called for an emergency meeting on Tuesday.
He further said that federal government was in constant touch with Khyber Pakhtunkhwa government and would extend all possible assistance to it. He said that helicopter surveillance of the affected areas had been started, besides relief operation.
The minister said that a crisis management cell had also been set up at PM House. Giving a break-up of the casualties he said that in Chitral 18 people died and 55 injured; Shangla, 18 dead and 14 injured; Buner, 8 dead and 70 injured; Mardan, two dead and 70 injured; Battagram, 15 injured; Peshawar, six dead and 80 injured; Bajaur, 41 injured; Swat 12 dead and 60 injured; Dir, seven dead and 50 injured; Swabi, two dead and 50 injured; and Mohmand Agency, 4 dead.
Source: Business Recorder