Terrorists kill 29 in attack at PAF Budhaber Camp


PESHAWAR: Director General Inter Services PublicRelations (ISPR) Major General Asim Salim Bajwa Friday said 29 people embraced martyrdom and 13 terrorists were killed in the attack on PAF Camp in Budhaber area which was planned and controlled from Afghanistan.

Briefing the media over the terrorist attack he said 23 PAF officials embraced martyrdom, while 16 were killed in the mosque and seven in the barrack inside the camp.

He said three Army personnel including one officer and two Jawans also embraced martyrdom while fighting the terrorists.

He said some 29 people received injuries and were shifted to hospital.

Bajwa said 13 terrorists came in a vehicle and got off near two different gates of the camp. They fired rockets and hurled hand grenades at the gates before entering the camp.

However, integrated response by Defence Service Group, SSG commandoes and police force contained the attackers and killed all them within 50 metres of the gates, he added.

He said the attackers dispersed into two groups after breaching the security cordon. One group tried to go to the Administration Block while the other attempted to reach the residential area but were challenged by the security personnel.

At least 2,000 people were in the residential area when the attack was carried out and the losses could be greater, had the terrorists succeeded to reach there, he added.

Bajwa said when the terrorists found themselves checked they targeted 16 people who were offering morning prayer at the mosque and killed seven others doing ablution in the nearby barrack.

The DG ISPR said the attack was planned, controlled and perpetrated from Afghanistan. Investigations to ascertain the identity of terrorists and how they succeeded to infiltrate the PAF camp were underway, he added.

He said the security forces had a tip-off from the conversations of terrorists intercepted by them that led to the conclusion that the attack was planned, launched and controlled from within Afghanistan.

He said the terrorists struck at 5 in morning, all the 13 terrorists were eliminated within hours, and the operation was completed till 9 am.

He appreciated immediate response by the guards on duty and integrated reaction by Defence Service Group, SSG Commandoes and police officials that foiled the nefarious designs of the terrorists, before they could cause any major damage.

He said the attack could possibly be a fallout of Operation Zarb-e-Azb that was being successfully carried out in North Waziristan.

Waziristan has been cleared of the terrorists and achievements have been made in Khyber-One and Khyber-Two operations, he added.

He said the Chiefs of the Army and Air Force reached the spot soon after the incident. They met the injured persons and appreciated the courage and bravery demonstrated by personnel of armed forces and police.

To a question, he said it was not possible to foresee that the terrorists had acquired information before the attack. However, he said the facts would be revealed after thorough investigation.

The evidence had been collected from the site and identification of the attackers would be confirmed from NADRA as well as by forensic report, he added.

Bajwa expressed the resolve that the operation against the terrorists would continue till its logical end.

To another question, he said intelligence-based operations were being carried out across the country to wipe out anti-state elements. The efforts were bearing fruits as peace had been restored in most of the areas and people felt secure and safe now.

The DG ISPR also appreciated the role of media for objective reporting of the incident and kept the people informed.

Source: APP