MULTAN: The blast that had left eleven people dead and many injured in Multan on Sunday was triggered by a remote controlled device, District Officer Civil Defence Rana Tariq Waheed said on Monday.
Rana told APP that almost 5-10 kilogram explosive material was detonated at Vehari Chowk adding that the report had been sent to the quarters concerned.
The report was contrary to initial police assessment that it was a suicide blast.
Rana Tariq Waheed said that suicide attack usually did not leave crater on ground. Crater developed when bomb was placed on the ground or even at some height, one or two feet above.
The bomb, it seemed, was placed at some height in case of Vehari blast, the DO Civil Defence said.
He, however, added that forensic examination by the experts of police and Counter Terrorism Department would be helpful in reaching to final conclusion.
A senior police officer stated that it seemed as if it was planted on some handcart.
Meanwhile, Seetal Mari police have registered an FIR against unknown accused under sections 302 and 324 of PPC and section 7 of Anti Terrorism Act. Further investigations were in progress.