WEB DESK: If you love banana, you will not regret trying this recipe. As brunch or desert, your choice!
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
6 egg whites
3 cups unbleached flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup skim milk
2 cups mashed bananas
1/2 teaspoon grated lemon rind
3/4 cup sunflower seeds
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Butter and flour two 8-by-4-inch no-stick loaf pans; set aside.
2. Using an electric mixer and a large bowl, beat together the butter, sugar and vanilla on medium speed until light and fluffy. Slowly add the egg whites and beat well.
3. In a medium bowl, mix the flour, baking powder and salt with a wire whisk until combined.
4. Alternately add the flour mixture and milk to the egg mixture, starting and ending with the flour. Mix the batter until it is just smooth. Be careful not to over mix.
5. Use a spatula to gently fold in the bananas, lemon rind and sunflower seeds.
6. Place the batter in the prepared pans, smoothing the top with a rubber spatula.
7. Bake for 50 to 60 minutes, or until the top is golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the bread comes out clean. (If the bread browns too quickly as it bakes, lay a sheet of aluminum foil lightly over the top.) Remove from the oven and cool on a wire rack for 10 to 15 minutes before removing from the pan.