KARACHI: Muttahida Qaumi Movement (MQM) on Monday demanded Governor Sindh Ishratul Ebad Khan to tender his resignation for his failure to stop what it said was an operation against MQM and its activists.
“We no longer consider Dr Ebad as a member of the MQM,” said Dr Farooq Sattar, addressing a press conference at Nine Zero, here on Monday. “If Dr Ebad is sincere, he must tender resignation in protest over atrocities being committed against MQM and join the movement again,” he added.
Terming the post of governor ceremonial, he said that the MQM had never strived to gain power and stay in the government. After the 2013 general elections, a targeted operation was launched in Karachi, said Sattar.
As the governor, Dr Ebad had failed to check whether the operation is yielding the desired results, he said.
A monitoring committee had been suggested to keep the ongoing operation in check, he said. “Dr Ishratul Ebad has failed to keep track of the ongoing injustices against the urban youth of Sindh,” he added.
Dr Sattar alleged that killing of MQM workers began after Pakistan People’s Party (PPP) came in power in Sindh in 2008. He said the “genocide” of party sympathisers continued. “Even Muhajir majority areas were attacked, but Sindh Governor failed to prevent those attacks,” he added.
He said that the party drew Ebad’s attention towards this serious matter, but he remained silent over all these issues.
He claimed that law enforcement agencies were singling out the Muhajirs in Karachi and targeting a specific community.
The MQM leader said the prime minister had promised formation of a monitoring committee for Karachi operation, but it never materialised. He went on to say that an operation is being carried out in Karachi to “wipe out MQM’s political existence and role”.
The MQM leader said that law enforcers raided MQM offices in the name of operation. “This is an attempt to reduce our political space and role,” he mentioned.
Source: Business Recorder