How this tragic incident happened

A lawyer, Aamir Shehzad Bajwa, went to the record room of Daska Tehsil Municipal Administration (TMA) to get a copy of a ‘Nikkah Nama’ where record keeper Farooq Ahmed allegedly misbehaved with him. The lawyer called in some colleagues who allegedly thrashed the TMA employees, including Khalid Pervaiz (President Employees Association TMA Daska), Shani Mehar, Khurram Shehzad, Naeem Khan and Maulavi Muhammad Ishaq.

Later, the police were called in by the Daska TMA officials. On seeing police, enraged lawyers, led by Rana Khalid Abbas (President Daska Bar Association), started abusing and cursing them. To this, Inspector Shehzad Warraich (SHO Daska City police station) got infuriated and opened fire at lawyers. Consequently, three lawyers including Rana Khalid Hassan (President Daska Bar Association), Irfan Chohan Advocate, Zohaib Sahi Advocate and a passerby Shehbaz Maseeh sustained bullet injuries. The injured were shifted to Civil Hospital Daska where Rana Khalid Abbas and Irfan Chohan succumbed to their injuries.

The condition of the injured was stated to be critical. Later, the protesting lawyers took to the streets and besieged the police station, offices of DSP, and Assistant Commissioner Daska adjacent to the city police station. They pelted the police station with stones. The lawyers also kept the traffic blocked on almost all the inter-city roads through burning tyres.

The police also fired tear gas on the protesting lawyers to disperse them. Lawyers namely Sami Ullah Malhi and Rana Asad were injured by teargas shells. A large contingent of police was called in from other police stations to control the agitating lawyers. Local elected representatives including MNA Sahibzada Syed Iftikharul Hassan Shah and Sialkot District Police Officer (DPO) Dr Shehzad Asif reached the spot. Lawyers in Sialkot, Daska, Sambrial and Pasrur also brought out processions to register their protest against the incident.

Source: Business Recorder