BENGHAZI: Libya’s internationally recognised parliament on Monday suspended its participation in UN-brokered talks on the future of the war-wracked North African state, officials said.
“The chamber of representatives today voted in favour of suspending its participation in the dialogue” in which a new round had been due in Morocco on Thursday, MP Issa al-Aribi announced on Facebook.
He did not elaborate, but both the LANA state news agency and parliament’s own Facebook page confirmed the information.
UN Libya envoy Bernardino Leon told the Security Council on Wednesday that the only cure for Libya’s trauma was political.
But the international community faces a daunting task to find a political solution to the lawless nation’s political and military crisis.
Libya is awash with weapons and rival militias are battling for control of its cities and oil wealth.
Since launching efforts at dialogue in September, Leon has been unable to bring together leading players from the rival camps.