by Martin PARRY
SYDNEY: A “broken” Sean Abbott faced rebuilding his life Friday after delivering the ball that killed Australian batsman Phillip Hughes, although Cricket Australia said the young bowler was holding up well given the circumstances.
The 22-year-old was doing what he always does for his state New South Wales, bowling fast, when Hughes misjudged a pull shot at the Sydney Cricket Ground on Tuesday and collapsed to the ground unconscious after being hit on the base of the skull.
He never recovered and died on Thursday after massive bleeding to the brain.
Test veteran Jason Gillespie said Abbott’s personal and professional life had been turned upside down by the unprecedented tragedy.
“That lad is absolutely shaken and broken at the moment,” he told Fox Sports, while former Australian captain Mark Taylor said he would be haunted by the incident.
“He’s got no questions to answer but I’m sure he’ll be feeling some guilt today and probably will be for a long time,” he said.
“I really hope Sean can get over it and we one day see Sean back playing for NSW and maybe Australia.”
Up-and-coming bowler Abbott, who made his one-day and Twenty20 debut for Australia in October, was seen cradling the injured player immediately after the incident.