KABUL- A Taliban suicide bomber in Kabul killed five military officers Wednesday in an attack on an air force bus, Afghan officials said, in the latest strike against the national security forces as US troops withdraw.
The Afghan capital has been relatively peaceful since the presidential election on June 14, though there have been street demonstrations as politicians are locked in a dispute over vote fraud.
“A suicide bomber targeted an ANA (Afghan National Army) bus this morning killing five ANA officers and wounding four in the west of Kabul,” Sediq Sediqqi, spokesman for the interior ministry, told AFP.
“Five civilians were also wounded. It was an ANA air force vehicle.”
General Zahir Azimi, the defence ministry spokesman, confirmed the death toll and said the attack struck at 7:00 am (0230 GMT) as the military staff were being taken to work.
The Taliban used a recognized Twitter account to claim responsibility for the blast, adding that the suicide attacker approached the vehicle on foot before detonating his explosive-packed vest.
Taliban spokesman Zabiullah Mujahid said that at least 25 people had been killed on the bus, though the insurgents regularly exaggerate death tolls after attacks.