ABUJA: Seventy-one people died in a bomb blast in a packed bus station in Nigeria’s capital Abuja on Monday — the deadliest attack yet to strike the city — with the president blaming the explosion on Boko Haram.
The bomb, which also injured 124 people, rocked the Nyanya station on Abuja’s southern outskirts at 6:45 am (0545 GMT) as it was filled with morning commuters, leaving body parts scattered across the terminal and destroying dozens of vehicles.
Previously, much of the recent violence by the Boko Haram insurgency has been in the remote northeast, though some have targeted the central capital.
The United States condemned the attack, denouncing it as “senseless” and called for a full investigation into it.
“We are outraged by this senseless act of violence against innocent civilians,” State Department spokeswoman Jen Psaki told reporters.
“We continue to stand with the Nigerian government and people as they grapple with violent extremism,” she said, also condemning a series of attacks on three villages in Borno State over the weekend.
The South African government, in a statement, also condemned the attack, saying that it believed that “terrorism, in any form and from whichever quarter, cannot be condoned”.