HYDERABAD: At least 15 persons including four women were injured, some of them critically, while five houses were also damaged in a cylinder explosion which was triggered by gas leakage in a kitchen.
According to B-Section police, a huge explosion was heard here Friday morning in Jinnah Colony of Latifabad Unit-12 area.
Police said the incident happened when the wife of house owner Khalid Pervez went to the kitchen in the morning and set fire to the stove.
“The gas had accumulated in the sealed kitchen during the overnight leakage. As soon as the woman lit the match, the kitchen acted as like a gas cylinder which is full of gas,” said Bomb Disposal Squad’s in- charge Saleem Vistro.
The blast badly damaged Pervez’s home while 4 other houses in the neighbourhood were also damaged.
The injured include 45- year- old Pervez, 40- year- old Kausar Fatima, 50- year-old Ghulam Hussain, 30- year- old Muhammad Waseem, 30- year- old Farhan Hashmi, 26- year- old Abid, 25- year- old Rashid Ali, 22- year- old Mrs Rashid Ali, 21- year- old Abdul Ghani, 20- year-old Iqra, 17- year-old Rafique Ali, 16- years- old Sharjeel, 15- year- old Hamza, 12- year-old Sheezan and 10- year- old Zubi.
According to the doctors at the Civil Hospital’s Burns Ward, some of the patients were seriously injured with burn wounds but many others had received light burn injuries or wounds caused by falling of an object, wall or glass shrapnels.