ISLAMABAD: Pakistan is ranked 7th in the world, having around 186 billion tonnes of coal reserves, sufficient to meet the country’s future power generation requirements.
Talking to APP, an official of Ministry of Petroleum and Natural Resources said Sindh is the most richest province having 185.457 million tonnes coal reserves, followed by Balochistan with 458.7 million tonnes, the Punjab 235 million tonnes, the Khyber Pakhtunkhaw 122.99 million tonnes and Azad Kashmir 09
A major portion of coal reserves of Punjab are situated in the salt range.
The reserves are mainly located in four districts, Jhelum, Chakwal, Khushab and Mianwali, he said.
He said the coal field covers an area of about 260 square kilometres. It varies in thickness from 0.3 metre to 1.5 metres with an average thickness of 0.75 metres.
Most of the world’s lignite coal is found in Asia and Pakistan tops in lignite coal-bearing countries in Asia as 97 percent of coal reserves of Pakistan belong to lignite and remaining only 3 percent are sub-bituminous to bituminous.