BEIJING: Chinese authorities have captured five suspects in a fatal car crash on Beijing’s Tiananmen Square, state media said Wednesday, describing the incident as a “terrorist attack” for the first time.
“The arrests were made 10 hours after the incident, which has now been identified as a terrorist attack,” broadcaster CCTV said on its verified English-language microblog account.
CCTV said the three people in the car, all of whom died, were from
the same family, and another five people had been arrested in connection with the case.
Police had alerted hotels in the capital to look out for eight suspects from China’s restive Xinjiang region after the incident, which killed two tourists and injured dozens in the symbolic heart of the Chinese state.