Egypt’s Prime Minister Hazem al-Beblawi said on Thursday he does not rule out posts for the Muslim Brotherhood in a new cabinet, if the candidates were suitably qualified.
Beblawi, who was appointed on Tuesday, said he was still considering who would comprise the interim government after Islamist president Mohamed Morsi’s ouster in a popular military coup last week.
“I don’t look at political association … If someone is named from (the Brotherhood’s) Freedom and Justice Party, if he is qualified for the post” he may be considered, Beblawi told AFP in a telephone interview.
“I’m taking two criteria for the next government. Efficiency and credibility,” he added.
State media had quoted an aide to interim president Adly Mansour saying Beblawi would offer Morsi’s Muslim Brotherhood some posts in the new government.
The offer has already been rejected by the Islamists, who demand Morsi’s reinstatement.
“So far I haven’t approached anyone,” Beblawi added, explaining he wanted to decide on the best candidates before asking them to join the government.