Banned Pakistani pace bowler Mohammad Aamir said on Tuesday that he was not expecting such a harsh punishment from ICC in the backdrop of a spot fixing scandal.
“The decision has shocked me, I feel really hurt that I have been banned for five years, I was not expecting that severe punishment “, he said here after arriving from Doha where an ICC tribunal read out the judgment to ban Pakistan’s trio.
“It was the most unfortunate day of my life when I heard the decision but I have not lost the hope and I will appeal against the decision in the Court of Arbitration for Sports”, said a visibly shaken upset Aamir.
Salman Butt, Mohammad Asif and Aamir were banned for 10, 7 and 5 years respectively after an ICC tribunal found them guilty of spot-fixing during the Lord’s Test against England last year.
“I will be doing it (appeal) by myself without seeking any support from Pakistan Cricket Board “, he said.
“I have been punished to the maximum for an offense which does not have that kind of harsh punishment “, he said.
He said even the tribunal’s head Michael Beloff confessed that the laws under which the trio was penalized needed to be amended.
“Going to appeal is a hope for me because laws are different there (Court of Arbitration) and I expect to get some relief as it is “too much punishment” for bowling two no balls”, he said.
Aamir said he is ready to face the investigations to be carried out by Scotland Yard in England on spot fixing and he will come to know about the exact nature of the case when he will visit England.
” At the same time I will continue to work hard to maintain fitness and form because I have a strong resolve in me to make a come back in international cricket “, he added.