Babri Mosque verdict to go ahead


ndia’s Supreme Court ruled Tuesday that a court verdict on Babri mosque should go ahead, dismissing a plea for a deferment just days before the Commonwealth Games.

The three-bench judge said that “having considered the detailed arguments we are of the view that the special leave petition is dismissed”.

A High Court in Allahabad, northern India, is now expected to hand down its judgement on the long-standing ownership struggle over the site in the northern town of Ayodhya where Hindu zealots destroyed Babri mosque in 1992.

“The court just dismissed our plea and now the Ayodhya verdict will be declared in the next couple of days,” said Sunil Kumar Jain, the lawyer for the main Supreme Court petitioner.

Retired bureaucrat Ramesh Chand Tripathi had petitioned the Supreme Court for a stay on the judgement to allow for a negotiated settlement.

Last week, the Supreme Court ordered the postponement of the verdict, which had been scheduled for September 24.

The government is anxious about the potential of the verdict to spark new violence and has issued several public appeals for calm and placed adverts in national newspapers urging respect for the rule of law.

loading...
loading...