Pakistan captain Salman Butt insisted he would not be resigning after being implicated in an alleged betting scam.
Britain’s News of the World newspaper claimed it paid 150,000 pounds (230,000 dollars, 185,000 euros) to a middle man in return for details about the timing of three no-balls in the fourth Test at Lord’s.
That ended Sunday in victory for England by an innings and 225 runs – Pakistan’s heaviest Test defeat of all time.
The report alleged Pakistan seamers Mohammad Aamer – the tourists’ man of the series – and Mohammad Asif delivered the blatant no-balls at the exact points in the match agreed with the alleged fixer, who it was also suggested by the paper, was in contact with Butt.
Pakistan tour manager Yawar Saeed, speaking at a Lord’s news conference alongside Butt, told reporters: “As far as the allegations are concerned, I would still call them allegations.
“It’s not really for me within 24 hours to pass a judgment on whether they are true or not.”
However, Butt who inherited the captaincy after Shahid Afridi quit Test cricket following Pakistan’s 150-run loss to Australia at Lord’s last month, was in defiant mood.
The 25-year-old batsman, pointed out how under his leadership, Pakistan had bounced back to draw 1-1 against Australia and beaten England at The Oval last week before defeat at Lord’s meant a four-match series was lost 3-1.
“Pakistan has won a Test match against Australia for the first time in 15 years and against England for the first time in nine years,” Butt said.
“Does that make me resign from this current situation?”
Saeed added: “I don’t think you should ask if someone will resign on allegations. Let’s wait until the case is complete.”
Saeed, when asked if the newspaper report proved Pakistan cricket was “institutionally corrupt”, said: “I would not like to say that.”
“This is the first time I’ve been the manager and we’ve been involved in such a thing.”
Saeed also confirmed Butt, Aamer and Asif had their mobile telephones taken away by police on Saturday after being spoken to about the allegations.
“The three gentlemen have had their phones confiscated.”
Meanwhile, Butt said: “Anybody can stand out and say anything about you, that doesn’t make them true.”
Butt insisted his team had given their all throughout.
“Definitely we have tried our best. It’s just that the conditions have been difficult for the batsmen and remember this is a very inexperienced team, especially the batting.
“These guys are young with the least experience and in these difficult conditions they might struggle.
“Every person in my team has given 100 percent and all the efforts he could but not every time do you achieve what you want to.
“All you can do is try and the rest, you know, is beyond control.”
Pakistan were bowled out for 147 on Sunday, a marked improvement on their first innings 74 at Lord’s if still a low total.
“We didn’t play good cricket, England played a lot better cricket in this game,” Butt said.
Teenage left-arm quick Aamer took 19 wickets in the four Tests against England at a cheap average of under 19 apiece.
And the 18-year-old became the youngest bowler to 50 Test wickets in the course of taking six for 84 in England’s 446 at Lord’s.
“Mohammad Aamer is a young bowler who has done very well so far in his career, all over the world,” said Saeed.
“Certainly, he’s a little disappointed because his name has come through but we and he will wait until the investigations are over. Only then can we say… if he comes through clean, there’s nothing better than that.”
Saeed, asked what would happen if Aamer didn’t come through clean, replied: “Let’s wait until that time comes.”
As for the mood in the Pakistan dressing room at Lord’s on Sunday, he added: Obviously we are not delighted about it. We are sad and it was very sober feelings in the dressing room.”
Saeed added he was due to meet with Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) chairman Ijaz Butt, already in London, later on Sunday.